Umbrella insurance is above and beyond what you’ll have on a standard insurance policy. If you are thinking of getting an umbrella insurance policy, there are some things that you should know first. There are some benefits and drawbacks of having this type of insurance that are as follows.
Pros of Having Umbrella Insurance
1. It protects the policyholder when it comes to expensive auto or home liability claims. You will pay into this policy on a regular basis and have at least partial coverage for damages and replacement.
2. The coverage limits often are set at higher amounts.
3. Umbrella insurance covers those scenarios that do not fall under your average liability insurance.
4. Your auto or home liability coverage and your umbrella insurance get added together for a combined coverage amount you can use.
Cons of Having Umbrella Insurance
1. Insurance agencies will usually offer coverage only to their current auto and home insurance customers.
2. You will need to have auto or home liability limits that meet the minimum requirements of your insurance provider.
3. This tends to be useful only for individuals who have a high net worth.
4. Umbrella insurance doesn’t cover your own property damage or injuries.
Getting Your Umbrella Insurance Through an Independent Agent
An independent agent such as those at Sump Insurance of the Clarinda, IA area can help you better understand what you need and what’s involved in each type of umbrella policy we offer. It’s important that you consider all the angles before you make your decision. You can sit down with an agent, reach out to us online, or give us a call with your questions.