When you think of it, there are many ways auto accidents can occur. A blown tire, reversing into a wall, falling objects, crashing into another vehicle, and so forth. And even when you are careful, accidents can still happen. A distracted or careless driver can crash into you. Given that we can’t prevent vehicular accidents entirely, drivers need auto insurance for optimal coverage.
Not sure where to start? Here at Sump Insurance, located in Clarinda, IA, we will help you navigate Iowa’s auto insurance landscape. Here are things you should know about Iowa auto insurance.
Auto insurance is mandatory in Iowa State.
You know this, but we will say it nevertheless: auto insurance is mandatory in Iowa, and the state requires you to carry the below minimum coverages:
- Bodily injury liability: Pays for medical expenses for injuries caused to third parties in a vehicular accident when you were at fault. The state requires you to carry a minimum of $20,000 for an accident involving one person and $40,000 for an accident involving more than one person.
- Property damage liability: This covers property damage to other persons, but not you — for instance, you crashing into their car or reversing into their house. The minimum coverage required is $15,000 per accident.
There are other auto insurance coverage options.
While the state requires mandatory liability coverage, other car insurance policies exist to cover your vehicle against theft, vandalism, falling objects, hail, and other perils specified in your policy. Some of these coverages include:
- Collision coverage to pay for damages to your car
- Comprehensive coverage to cover your vehicle against theft, fire, and other risks
- Medical payments to cover for medical costs arising from a vehicular accident
- Road assistance to bail you when stranded on the highway
Auto insurance premium varies
Yes, your car insurance premium won’t be exactly like your friend’s, even though you have the same car model. Car insurance companies in Iowa use the below factors to compute your premium:
- Your age
- Credit scoring
- Your occupation and education level
- Marital status
- Claim history
Having the right auto insurance coverage can save you huge bills later on. Thankfully, for Clarinda, IA residents, you can get optimal auto coverage from Sump Insurance. Contact us today, and we shall take care of your car insurance needs.