Nothing can be quite as destructive as a house fire. Even if the fire department gets to your home in time to save the structure, the resulting fire and water damage can be immense. The potential for loss of life is also sobering.
So, any measure that can be taken to prevent a house fire ought to be taken. The first thing you need to do is install smoke alarms and change the batteries at least annually. It would be best to have a fire extinguisher ready to put out fires before they get out of control.
It would be best if you kept your stove and oven clean. Do not leave cooking food on your stovetop unattended. Keep nothing flammable near your fireplace. Make sure that a lit fireplace is not left unattended. Be careful when using candles for that romantic dinner with your spouse or significant other. Ensure that power cords for any of your electronics are not chewed or frayed. Replace them immediately if they are.
Ensure that any flammable liquids are properly stored and secured. These include hairspray and shaving cream, along with cleaning products. Air conditioning filters and the lint trap in your dryer should be cleaned regularly. If you use a space heater, make sure that it is located away from anything that can catch fire.
It’s not a good idea to smoke under any circumstances. However, if you must smoke, do so outside. Soak the cigarette butts in water before disposing of them.
For any more questions about house fires and home insurance, contact Sump Insurance, serving Clarinda, IA.